Posts Tagged ‘dating’
February 13, 2013 | Lists
Valentine’s Day is once again upon us – the day couples around the world celebrate the massacre of seven unholy men in a Chicago garage. It’s also the day when single people start to miss not having more human contact than what can be legally experienced on crowded elevators and public transportation systems. Few restaurant and spa packages at this time of year specifically target one lonely guy with a stained shirt and multiple neuroses precluding sustained offline interaction.
We are far from cynical when it comes to romance and relationships. After all, some of the great pompadours have been grown and some of the finest smoking jackets worn in the interests of wooing women. Relationships too have their pluses – once you look beyond the horrors of monogamy and the mental image of one’s significant other dancing a jig cashing in an insurance payout while they’re using tweezers to pull out your hard to get bits from the grill of a Mack truck. Statistically you live longer if you’re in a loving, committed relationship (unnatural bonds born in barnyards do not count) and swinger resorts are surprisingly strict when it comes to letting in singles. Plus, it’s comforting to know that at least there will be a familiar face in the window when you drive slowly past what was once your home after a divorce.
The case for singlehood, on the other hand, is not made often enough. Prominent “confirmed bachelors” are few – Bill Maher and George Clooney are among the minority who are single and unapologetically opposed to marriage, though not because they would be legally unable to wed in socially unprogressive states. However, married couples are no longer in the majority. And even factoring in unmarried couples, polygamists and those who have given themselves to a higher power – like a really wealthy polygamist – that means there are many singles out there ignored today. Here, like a bartender who tells comforting mistruths for tips, we offer solace to singles out there, the men in particular since the women don’t return our calls any more, with these Our Top 6 Reasons to Stay Single!
1. No Smartphone Hassles: Relationships are hell for smartphone users as they inevitably are obliged to add a photo of one’s sweetheart his/her phonebook entry, and in some extreme but sadly not uncommon cases, a distinctive ring tone. While this may sound charming, your friends and coworkers will soon sicken of hearing Ride of the Valkyries every time your significant other wants to nag or do an infidelity spot check.
2. Freed from Facebook Updates: In a similar vein, all of your friends who actually pay attention will be spared learning of the troubled waters through which you are sailing via the relationship status update. When married people suddenly go “single” (one of the better Facebook pranks you can play on your attached friends, by the way), all manner of speculation and “Yes! Now it’s my turn!” reverie ensues. This is bad form. One would be better off communicating one’s relationship status via revealing dress in Facebook photos and/or entirely solipsistic postings that show zero evidence of contact with other humans.
3. Wide Open Bed: The smaller your sleeping surface the more important this becomes, although only to a point – if you’re sleeping on a couch and have someone on the floor holding your hand, marry that individual or report him/her to the home’s owners immediately. As far as actual sleeping goes, unaccompanied slumber has much to be said for it – being able to do horizontal jumping jacks or pit fight in one’s dreams without fear of injuring another, for example.
4. Ring Finger Free for Bling: Now when you tell someone, “Do you see a ring on this finger?” and they say, “Yes, several,” you can reply, “And not a single one represents the unholy tether of marriage.”
5. No Invites to “Couples Only” Anything: The older you get as a single person, the more socially ostracized you become. As people pair off, they hang out with other couples who have shared experiences and the names of handymen who won’t end up on the opposing side in small claims court. Singles are only invited in pairs in the hopes that they too will give in to desperation and crippling social pressure and make a “better late than never” love match. At some point even those invites stop coming. But is that such a bad thing? An unencumbered single person could fly somewhere tropical and be haggling down a shoeless beach vendor tomorrow. Would that not be preferable to being stuck across the table from your friend’s spouse who wants to know your feelings of septic technology in out of the way places?
6. Single People Die Sooner: An unscientific survey of everything we can see with our eyes tells us that the last few years of a person’s life are usually the worst, barring some really horrible stuff having preceded it. It’s more difficult to get around, mouthy young people respond mockingly to threats and by the time you remember you poured yourself some tea, it’s already lukewarm and who the hell wants to drink that? Imagine that times two and you have your golden years spent in a relationship.
The Shark Guys are the authors of Tastes Like Human: The Shark Guys’ Book of Bitingly Funny Lists
Other Posts You May Enjoy:
October 5, 2011 | Lists
Online dating is a now a widely accepted and viable alternative to succumbing to the charms of some smooth-talking gigolo while on a Caribbean cruise. Before pursuing it further though, you should confide in someone who knows you best, like say, that buddy with whom you shared a Tijuana drunk tank cell on Christmas.
Of course, an important part of online dating is your profile, referring not to which direction one should face to hide your bar fight scar, but what few lines of pertinent info should accompany your Helen of Troy visage (and if your visage is not Helen of Troy enough, how it can be deftly shrouded in darkness).
The following are some of the very best online dating phrases to use when juicing up your profile. These can be used as an adjunct to our First Date Tips, which will help you radiate the height of Parisian charm, or at very least, what’s left at the exclusion zone at Chernobyl.
10. Seeking: A female with attenuated Byzantine sensibilities
9. Seeking: Bilateral symmetry, especially of the eyes.
8. You are: unattached, both figuratively and to a an ankle monitor.
7. I: enjoy first-person shooters as well as video games
6. You: Do not give off the air of a milk-maid gone bad
5. You: Get high, on the drug of life—and weed.
4. I am interested in giving back to the community and am involved in producing anatomically correct dolls for distribution in disadvantaged rural areas.
3. You: have a face that is for all intents and purposes blemish-free.
2. Procuring a pair of binoculars by a bay window, should not be your last attempt at romance.
1. If I like you, I will buy you a round of drinks. If I really like you, I will burn your likeness into a patch of grass with a cigarette.